- canola oil
- one yellow onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup oatmeal (quick cooking oats)
- a healthy pinch of salt
- generous amount of freshly ground black pepper
- fry onions until they turn deep, dark red, then let them drain on a paper towel
- reserve oil
- cook oatmeal according to directions (stovetop is better) and add some salt, but continue to whisk the oatmeal to maintain a nice consistency
- once oatmeal is cooked and onions are fried, stir some friend onions and 2 teaspoons of the reserved oil into oatmeal and garnish with onions.
My mother-in-law also sliced up a cloves of garlic, fried them up separately and added those to the mix as well.