Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Savory Oatmeal with Fried Onions

For as long as I've known, oatmeal is eaten as a breakfast dish, and brown sugar is a must.  My mother-in-law introduced me to savory oatmeal, and it can be eaten for breakfast, lunch or dinner with a nice warm chapati.  Last week, we decided to do our take on the dish, and the little one loved it too!  This recipe serves about 2 people.

Ingredients:

- canola oil
- one yellow onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup oatmeal (quick cooking oats)
- a healthy pinch of salt
- generous amount of freshly ground black pepper

Instructions:

- fry onions until they turn deep, dark red, then let them drain on a paper towel
- reserve oil
- cook oatmeal according to directions (stovetop is better) and add some salt, but continue to whisk the oatmeal to maintain a nice consistency
- once oatmeal is cooked and onions are fried, stir some friend onions and 2 teaspoons of the reserved oil  into oatmeal and garnish with onions.

My mother-in-law also sliced up a cloves of garlic, fried them up separately and added those to the mix as well.

bon appetit!






2 comments:

Princess Consuela said...

I'm actually just coming home from a cooking class. My mom and I have really gotten into these classes offered at Shoprite for $20. Tonight we made dairy free masala chai tea, cumin-curry pork tenderloin (we made some with chicken too since I stopped eating beef and pork a couple of months ago) packages, nine-vegetable stew (served with brown rice) and spiced yogurt with kiwi and cranberries. Everything was YUMMY! The chef is really fun and we have plenty to take home for another meal. Anyway, I enjoy reading your recipes and I look forward to more blogs!

SA said...

mmm, this sounds yum. i eat oatmeal almost daily and wanna try it like this, soon. will let you know how it goes, iA.

xox,
s