- 1 medium sized butternut squash cut into square chunks
- around 1 tspn black mustard seeds
- about 3/4 tspn salt
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1-2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 dried red chilis
- a pinch of turmeric
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped coriander for garnish
- heat oil on medium heat
- add black mustard seeds, once they begin to splutter, add in the bay leaf and dried red chilis, saute for a minute or two, then add in onions
- once onions begin to change color, add in turmeric and garlic and fry for about 3 minutes, then add in squash and a little bit of water so it doesn't stick to the pot. add salt (you can add more or less depending on your taste) and stir it around
- cover and let cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally
- the squash will probably start to get a bit mushy when you stir it around once it's done, but that's fine.
- remove from heat, add coriander and give it a stir!
Here are some pics of the finished product:
It's got a great sweet and salty taste, with some heat in every bite! Enjoy!